Sunday 12 July 2015

Theobald Hock (1573 - after 1624) German political agent and poet (the 007 of his time!). Another of his gems from 1601 (schönes blumenfeld)

Frei von Lieb’ – ein Freiherr

Jetzt bin ich einmal frei
Von Lieb’ und Liebesbanden,
Kein’ Lieb wohnt mir mehr bei,
Kein’ Lieb’ ist mehr vorhanden,
D’Lieb hab’ ich überstanden.

Nichts mehr weiß ich von Lieb’,
Nimmer ich bin verliebet,
Hinfort die Lieb so trüb
Mich nimmer betrübet,
Was sie zuvor geübet.

Jetzt bin ich frei von Richt,
Niem’nd vill ich mehr vertrauen,
Bin selbst jetzt Herr und Knecht.
Kein’n Herren noch kein’ Frauen
Hab’ ich, darauf ich darf schauen.

Ich bin schon satt und müd’
Word’n zum Galanisieren,
Drum, Glück, ich durch dein Güt’,
Ein’n Freiherrstand will führen
Und nimmer fantasieren.

Mein Glück, mein Gut, mein Leib,
Was ich hab’ zu verzehren,
Da soll mir stehlen kein Dieb,
Frei will ich mich ernähren,
Mir Freiheit niemand soll wehren.

Wer sich mit Gott versühnt,
Tut Buß’, erkennt sein’n Schaden,
Hinfort sich selber dient
Und darf niem’nd gehen zu Gnaden,
Zum Freiherrn ist geraten.


Free of love – a free lord

Now I at last am free
Of love and all love’s fetters,
No love still dwells in me,
No love has me as debtor,
Of love I’ve got the better.

Of love I’ve not one tad,
I never feel love’s madness,
Henceforth will love so sad
Ne’er burden me with sadness,
Or rob me of all gladness.

I now am free of law,
And judge all to be shady,
Both servant am and lord.
No master have nor lady
Whom I must gaze on staidly.

I am both sick and tired
Of acting like a lover,
So, fortune, by you fired,
As free lord will live in clover,
My love-struck days are over.

My goods, my life and limb,
My food and all I cherish,
Shall be at no thief’s whim,
Myself shall I freely nourish,
My freedom none cause to perish.

Who with his God makes peace,
Repents, rues all misdoing,
Shall henceforth at his ease,
All mercy be eschewing,
A free lord’s life be viewing.

No comments: