Saturday 27 July 2019

Henrik Nordbrandt poem: 'Enhjørningedigt'


Unicorn poem

Now I am sad enough to call for you
with the names of the melancholy rivers.
Now I am sad enough to search for you
in the ruins of the most ancient cities...

Now I can contemplate you
like a rare flower.
Now I can understand you with an extinct grammar.
Now I can long for you across the widest plains.
And sing along with the saddest songs there.

When you are not here, you are the sunset over the Congo.
When you are not here, you are the scent of jasmins
that no longer bedeck the Gardens of Babylon
and the final glimpse of the destroyed Troy...

When you are not here, you are a unicorn
in a special land reserved for such creatures:
The distance between knight and maiden:
The mirror that only shows the as yet unfound
       its thoughtless expression.


No comments: