Thursday 15 July 2021

Another Swedish folk-song from Östergöthland: 'Den ondsinta Käringen'


 

The mean-minded hag 

 

I went a-courting in my youth

Though I was still unshaven,

Promised to marry some old hag,

Thought she was a maiden.

Not a moment’s peace of mind I got from her.

 

On the first night we were wed,

Kissing following stroking;

On the next night we were wed,

Nipping followed poking.

Not a moment’s peace of mind I got from her.

 

On the third night we were wed,

In my ear she bit me;

For a fortnight more or less

No sound did it permit me.

Not a moment’s etc.

 

On the fourth night we were wed,

In my nose she bit me.

For a fortnight more or less

No sniff did it permit me.

 

Then I saddled my grey steed,

Would pay the bishop a visit;

The hag then rode her mangy goat

And followed me by the minute.

 

At the bishop’s I complained

And of my woes did sigh;

The old hag though she stood close by,

Each word she called a lie.

 

The bishop took his Bible out,

Would read us its sacred prose;

Swiftly the hag took up her crutch

And whacked him on the nose.

 

Then I took me a little boat,

Across the sound would sail;

The hag though took her kneading trough

And me she sought to tail.

 

Then I took me a smallish ship,

To sail across the sea;

The hag though took her fine grain sieve

And in the depths sank she.

 

Then I the highest peak did climb.

Oh, how I did laugh and roar;

The hag lay on the deep-sea bed,

She gnashed her teeth and swore.

 

I went off to the closest town,

Would visit Knud, my neighbour;

Out there came a horrid hag,

The same as mine, I wager.

Not a moment’s peace of mind I got from her.

 


No comments: