Wednesday 24 May 2023

Ida Gerhardt: 'Fair Ceridwen'


 

Fair Ceridwen

 

Die mij ontwijkt

is die ik graag win;

die voor mij prijkt

is die ik niet min.

Die mij ten dans vraagt

wil ik niet tot man.

O, dat zijn kan waagt

die hij het niet kan!

 

 

Fair Ceridwen

 

He who me spurns

I wish for alone;

who for me burns

my heart will not own.

Who with me would dance

I never shall wed.

Oh, would he but chance,

whose heart’s filled with dread!

 

 

The name Ceridwen comes from the Welsh – cerdd – meaning poetry

or song and – wen, (a contraction of gwen) – meaning white, fair or holy

 Ceridwen, according to Welsh legends and folklore, was a white witch

or goddess, and is considered to be the goddess of poetry, inspiration

and of the cauldron of transfiguration.

 

 

No comments: