Blind man, die onbeschaemt met u ruysschende liere
Gaet bedelen u broot nu hier ende nu daer,
Ghy en leeft niet alleen in teghenspoede swaer;
K’ben ook mijn ooghen quijt die ick achte soo diere.
Even ghelijck als ghy, o lierman goedertiere,
Is ghequetst, is ghewondt mijns sichts ghestraelte claer:
Maer u mis-rief dat wort gheclaeght int openbaer,
En t’mijne, waer ick comm’, en acht men niet een ziere.
Ghy treurt in aermoe swaer, en ick in droeve smert;
U lif tochte ghy souckt, en ick troost voor miin hert:
Maer niemant, als van u, en heeft met my melijden.
En noch is tusschen ons een ander onderscheyde:
Ghy wort van eenen hondt ghetrau welijck gheleydt,
En ick van een blind kindt, dat m'alom leydt besiden.
Blind man, who with your gurdy-gurdy’s buzzing drone
Beg unashamedly for bread both here and there,
You’re not alone to live in hardship, deep despair;
I too have lost the eyesight I so dearly owned.
For just like you, good-natured hurdy-gurdy man,
My once clear vision’s muddied, shot are both my eyes;
Though with your loss all openly can empathise,
Where’er I go, my hurt’s considered as a sham.
You mourn your great privation, I my pain and smart;
You seek your livelihood, I solace for my heart:
But no one, as with you, with me can sympathise.
One further difference exists that should be said:
You by a faithful dog are guided and are led,
Whilst a blind child leads me astray, in every wise.

No comments:
Post a Comment