Tuesday 23 July 2024

Lennart Sjögren: 'Fågelkvinnan'


 

The bird-woman

 

A woman with a bird’s mouth

becomes visible

she smiles like nightjars commonly do.

And those who are afraid

of life

go on fearing

and those who play go on playing.

And those who hush

and always look away

go on doing so.

But

the bird-woman herself steps aside

and says

with this inimitable smile of hers

completely devoid of sympathy

like the consolation of forest and water:

You

perhaps believe that I am death

which of course I am not

and I am not life either.

I

am a hybrid creature

my claws I latch onto the dead

my beak is turned toward the living

in the forest I fly off

to those unborn.

Like you

and the others I drink water

and exist on berries and creatures smaller than myself.

In that

which is underground I seek sleep

but sleep is not given me.

My mouth

that smiles – that is how I was created.

And just as little as I know

what life or death carry in their folds

when they like owls

see me through the darkness

do I know what my smile means.

 

 

(The nocturnal nightjar is a wide-mouthed, insect-eating summer visitor to moors and forests.)


No comments: