Sunday 5 December 2021

Danish folk song: 'Der var en lørdag aften' (1849 version)


I waited for you only

 

//: I waited for you only

quite late one Saturday – ://

//: you promised you would visit me

but never came my way! ://

 

My head upon my pillow

such bitter tears I shed;

and every time I heard the door

I thought you to me sped.

 

I rose on Sunday morning

and plaited my long hair;

and as I hurried to the church

I spoke a silent prayer.

 

The church though you’d not entered

so you I did not find, –

another love you now have found,

and I am out of mind.

 

I walked back home so lonely

and frequently did sigh,

at every step along the path

a tear fell from my eye.

 

The lovely crimson ribbons

that you once gave to me

upon my dress I’ll wear no more,

my grave is all I see.

 

Where can one pick fair roses

where no such roses grow!

Where in a heart can one find love

where there is no such glow!

 

I wished to pick fair roses,

no more will I do so;

I loved you fervently, but love

henceforth I shall forgo!


No comments: