Sunday 5 November 2023

Thor Sørheim: 'FORHENGET'


 

THE CURTAIN

 

One winter night when I drew the curtain aside from the window

I saw long-legged Orion stride over the neighbour’s roof

close on the heels of a pregnant moon that rocked on the edge

of the roof ridge. All was as it should be, well-known figures that 

provided signs and foreshadowings I myself had to interpret. 

Was it a race taking place, or a procession in honour

 

of the universe with billions of stars and black holes

which are streaking away from this planet? But which

also find their way back to precisely my window as the result

of causes I am incapable of understanding. Apart from the fact

that the world is a place for visions and deep rumblings

from battlefields which ought not to exist in this age

 

when the planet is in the process of boiling over. Suddenly I see

in front of me the tall and slender birch trees lining Glafsfjorden

in Värmland where my family originally comes from. They sway gently

as if they are listening to the music from Ingesund where young

people have played the piano for over a hundred years. The peace

is tangible and audible. War is people who fled

 

in a long line up the path to St. Hansfjellet at Strømmen

when German bombers came in low one April morning

in 1940. I put my trust in Orion’s Belt which holds

this winter night firmly. The moon is a faithful friend that

has followed our planet for millions of years. I drew

a curtain aside and saw the night give birth. Sirius trembles.

 

 

No comments: