Friday 30 August 2024

ZKV 112

ZKV112

 

While exploring the outer reaches of my ancestry on the distaff side, I came across Florence Knox, a niece of my maternal grandmother. Florence married Charles Harold Andrews in 1917. Their son, George Harold, was born in 1926. A couple of days back a death certificate plinged in from another user of the genealogy software. George Harold had died at the age of 10, on 13 October 1937, and I had been wondering why – illness, disease perhaps? Not so.

Cause of death: Haemorrhage left middle meningeal artery as a result of fracture of the left temporal bone. 

Struck on head by piece of dirt thrown by another boy in playground at school. – Accidental.

 

My brother Mike and I are hiding in our neighbour’s garden, which has lots of bushes and trees. We pick up pebbles and throw them in each other’s direction. I am hiding behind an apple tree, but am struck on the forehead with some force. My brother, (my guess is he is about nine and I seven) tells me to comb my fringe down to hide it. But it’s bath night. Ma baths us together, for it costs a lot to heat the tank. Ma spots the impressive swelling immediately. ‘I bumped into something,’ I explain. ‘Some something,’ Ma remarks. Mike keeps quiet. We sit facing each other in the bath tub. Ma chooses not to press the matter further.

 

Struck on head by piece of dirt thrown by another boy – accidental. Close shave.

 

No comments: