Tuesday 16 April 2024

DRAUMKVEDET (Anon/Maren Ramskeid)

 To see the original Norwegian ballad in Ramskeid's version, go to here.




THE BALLAD OF THE DREAM (Anon/Maren Ramskeid)

 

Olaf he was a fine young man

like a sallow bush the same

Father and mother they wished him well

from the time that he spoke their name.

– And it was Olaf Aaknesonen who slept a sleep so long –

 

Olaf he was a fine young man

like a sallow twig the same

Father and mother they wished him well

from the time to this earth he came.

– It was etc.

 

He laid him down a Christmas Eve

and soon fell fast asleep,

he did not wake till past Twelfth Night

when folk their church shall keep,

 

He did not wake till past Twelfth Night

when sun’s dawn rays did gleam

today I will be off to church

I wish to tell my dream.

 

He did not wake till past Twelfth Night

when sun’s rays ended his dream

then did he saddle his fine steed

its harness like gold did gleam

 

Now at the altar you do stand

and reel prayers off by the ream

I in porch outside will stand

where I will tell my dream.

 

First on my journey I set out

o’er a plain of sand and thorns,

my scarlet cloak was sorely rent

from each finger the nail was torn.

– For the moon shines bright and the roads are endless wide –

 

Then on my journey I set out

through the narrow ring of thorns

my scarlet cloak was sorely rent

from each toe the nail was torn.

– For the moon shines etc.

 

Then I arrived at Gjallar bridge

a bad place to go o’er

The hounds they bite the snakes they sting

and the bulls stand ready to gore.

 

There did I see two snakes that fought

that struck at each other’s head

and there were siblings in that place

that wanted each other to wed.

 

Waded have I through miry bogs

where a foot can never touch ground

Crossed over Gjallar bridge have I

with grave-earth in my mouth.

 

Blessed are those who here on earth

the poor man gave some shoes

He need not walk o’er the thorny heath

barefoot should he not choose.

 

And blessed are those who here on earth

the poor man gave some rye

he need not take a dizzy walk

on Gjeddar bridge so high.

 

And blessed are those who here on earth

the poor man gave some corn

he need not fear on Gjeddar bridge

the fierce bull’s sharp-tipped horn.

 

And blessed are those who here on earth

the poor man gave some bread

he need not in the other realm

of any harm be in dread.

 

And blessed are those who here on earth

the poor man clothes did give

he need not fear in the other realm

with hatred or mocking to live.

 

Then I set out in wintertime

where the ice was glittering blue

but God put it clearly in my mind

so from there I fast withdrew.

 

Then did I see in wintertime

all on my right hand

I caught a glimpse of paradise

that gleamed like a distant land.

 

Then did I glimpse paradise

it could not have gone better for me

there with red gold on her hands

my godmother I did see.

 

There did I see my godmother 

it could not have been better for me

now set you out to Broksvalin

for there Judgment Day shall be.

– The moon shines bright and the roads are endless wide –

 

Then it was I met the man

his cloak was blue to see

a child he bore upon his arm

and sank down to his knee.

– In Broksvalin for there Judgment Day shall be –

 

There it was I met a man

his cloak it was of lead

his sorry soul upon this earth

was miserly indeed.

– In Broksvalin etc.

 

A mighty host came from the north

and now I feared the worst

With Grizzly Greybeard at its head

upon a jet-black horse.

 

A mighty host came from the south,

and now I hoped the best

Archangel Michael at its head

closest to Jesus Christ. 

 

A mighty host came from the south

and slowly it did ride

Archangel Michael at its head

his horn was by his side.

 

Archangel Michael took his horn

and blew it loud and clear

And now for every living soul

does Judgment Day draw near.

 

But then each sinful mortal shook

like aspen leaves in the wind

and each and every soul alive

shed tears for every sin.

 

Archangel Michael took the scales

and all did pay in kind,

all sinful souls that he there weighed

were to Jesus Christ consigned.

 

Then did I wake up when past Twelfth Night

after the midnight chime

may God preserve both one and all

who are out at such a time.

– It was Olaf Aakneson who slept a sleep so long

 

I first wake up at past Twelfth Night

have slept so long it seems 

it is temptation to every soul

to fall into such dreams.

– And it was etc.

 

 

No comments: