Monday 29 May 2023

Thor Sørheim: 'Musikk for vann og piano'

 

MUSIC FOR WATER AND PIANO

 

The hill outside the window has an irrigation system

that ripples away, unceasingly when I hear 

the pianist’s fingers race over white and black

keys. I am carried off in the descant rhythm of the music and

the deep crescendo of the bass line, and do not know if I am to cross

the footbridge with or without a bucket of water. The stream runs

 

under all piano pieces. Drained veins of water undermine

the hillside and fill the room with a longing for the music through

all channels. The clefts in the bedrock become visible, I hear

the torrent over volcanic rocks. In the movement there is the idea

of hovering, I can make out the sea in the far distance, the fire from

the sunset, before the piano concerto brings us to rest in the unfinished.

 

For Morten Moi

 

 

No comments: