Monday 29 May 2023

Thor Sørheim: 'Det snør'

 


SNOWING

 

It’s snowing, but there is nothing falling.

I walk along the road in February and feel 

I am almost airborne. The snow swirls, the wind

softens, there must be a change on the way.

 

There are edifying poems in the obituaries

and I think of Carl XII, the Swedish king

who attempted to lead his army over Lauvåsen ridge,

along the very road I am now following. Carolus

 

did not make it. Soldiers and peasants  were plentiful in

the entrenchments, admittedly, but the greatest obstacle

was the snow that had fallen thick and fast in March 1716.

The Swedish army had to cross the ridge in a column.

 

The deep snow prevented them from making a

fan-shaped attack, and their secret weapon was a failure.

I walk along the road that has lain here since the time

of the great migration, and cross in triumph.



No comments: